Vote by Mail– Request your ballot by the Oct. 20th deadline. If you choose to vote by mail, be sure and sign the oath on the envelope-don’t delay and mail it back today. You can also take your completed ballot to one of the many secure ballot boxes located around the Baltimore County region. They are available 24 hours a day, monitored, and easy to use.
Early Voting- Early voting starts at 7 am on October 26th and will be available through Nov. 2. Baltimore County will have 11 in-person early voting centers that you can find here. These centers will be open from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm. Try to vote at off-peak times (mid-morning and mid-afternoon). Same-day voter registration will also be available for those who are not yet registered.
Election Day Voting- If you choose to vote in-person on Nov. 3rd, Baltimore County will have 31 centers throughout the county. This may or may not be your regular polling place. Voting centers will be open from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm. Try to vote at off-peak times (mid-morning and mid-afternoon). A list of all voting centers is available here. Baltimore County voters may use any of the sites, but you must vote in the county. Same-day voter registration will be available.
IMPORTANT ELECTION DATES
October 13 Deadline to register to vote by mail or online
October 20 Deadline for requesting a mail-in ballot
October 26- November 2 Early Voting, 7:00 am-8:00 pm
November 3 General Election, 7:00 am-8:00 pm
November 3 Mail-in ballots must be placed in a drop box, taken to a Vote Center, or postmarked by 8:00 pm
Question 1: – YES – Constitutional Amendment – State Budget Process. Amending Article II Section 17 and Article Ill Section 14 and 52 of the Maryland Constitution.
· Maryland’s current budget process:
o Every year, the Governor submits a budget to the Maryland General Assembly
o We are not allowed to add or move money – we can only reduce spending
· Question 1 will allow the Maryland General Assembly to be able to increase or decrease funding as long as the budget remains balanced.
Why Maryland needs it:
· Maryland is the only state in the country where the governor has this much power over the budget
o Question 1 creates the same checks and balances that every other state has
· The current budget process has rendered the General Assembly virtually powerless to respond to cuts and spending priorities
o Question 1 will make it easier for us to invest in priorities that matter to you, while still cutting wasteful spending
Question 2: – YES – Expansion of Commercial Gaming-Sports and Event Wagering
· Sports betting is now legal in all states surrounding Maryland
· Question 2 would create a constitutional amendment to authorize sports betting in Maryland
Why Maryland needs it:
· Sports betting is estimated to bring in tens of millions of dollars in new tax revenue every year
· Revenue will be spent on key priorities like:
o Public transit
o COVID-19 response
o Workforce development
Baltimore County Question A: – YES – County Charter Citizens’ Election Fund System
Why Baltimore County needs it:
· The Baltimore Fair Election Fund can help to keep big money out of our elections. Participating candidates cannot take giant checks from lobbyists, corporations, or PACs
· It will expand opportunities to run for office so people from all backgrounds can run on the strength of their ideas, not access to money
· It gives everyone a voice so all Baltimoreans, regardless of race, gender, or income have equal opportunity to participate in elections
· It encourages more participation in our elections by providing limited matching funds for small campaign contributions.
Swing States with Shelly!
Please join me on Saturday, October 24th for our last push to speak with swing state voters and connect with voters before Election Day.
Please join me, the Maryland Senate Democratic Caucus, and the Maryland Democratic Party in phone banking to swing state voters to help Get Out the Vote! We will be partnering with the Biden/Harris campaign on Saturday, October 24th from 10 am-8 pm to Get Out the Vote!
If you can help make calls, please sign up here. Democracy requires participation and our efforts will make the difference this November!
Thanks for everything your activism and involvement in protecting our democracy!
Senator, District 11